SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING
Ten years of working in developing social emotional learning with the community at the center.
FOCUS ON DIGITAL
One component of Social Emotional Learning 21st Century skills in the classroom. This includes STEM skills and art-based learning, project-based learning. How do you integrate these skills in the classroom? After all, digital storytelling is what we do best!
Community and Parent Engagement
Few lines about the importance of cocmmunity and parent engagement.
Chance Academy provides a cooperative program for academic and personal growth in which parents, staff, and children work and learn together. It is a refuge for individualized learning; a slice of compassion; a community that values building character as well as building intellect; an anchor for communal and individual support. We also embrace holistic, arts-integrated learning in a world where these experiences are hard to come by, especially in the high-stakes, test-centered education system.
- Who we serve:we are a homeschool cooperative dedicated to families in DC and nearby Prince George’s County.
- What does it cost:no family is turned away because of inability to pay our moderate tuition.
- Individualized learning:academic staff are trained to help guide learning in ways that are sensitive to each child’s intellectual and socio-emotional readiness. Classes average no more than 12 students, with multi-age and flexible groupings.
- Compassion:we employ the Restorative Circle Process to deal with all interpersonal challenges, be they with staff, parents, or children. No automatic suspensions. No arbitraty punitive consequences. All consequences are achieved through dialogue at small group or community-wide levels.
- the adults and children practice elements of mindfulness, meditation, kindness and patience together daily. We strive to encourage personal accountability by providing a safe place in which to make mistakes, accept consequences, and be genuinely forgiven and forgiving. We apply this practice across the board- to students, parents, and staff.
- Communal support and individual support:Chance works with a number of partners trained in Peace Making, psychology, and Restorative Process to support parents and children.
- Arts-integrated and experiential:We incorporate theater, music, movement, visual arts, and frequent off-site trips that enhance and reinforce academic content. These emotional and physical memories help the children retain and appreciate more effectively what they have learned.
MEET OUR TEAM
Founder and Executive Director of Chance Academy
Anna is the Founder and Executive Director of Chance Academy, an educational program focused on the whole child, arts-integration, communal support and restorative justice. Born in Rome, Italy, Mrs. Bernanke’s parents emigrated to the United States when she was a baby, settling in Denver, Colorado. When she was in the first grade, Anna decided that she wanted to be a teacher when she grew up. Anna has been an educator for over 20 years, working in private and public institutions both as a teacher and as an administrator. She is fluent in Spanish.
She is deeply committed to the benefits of an arts-integrated and experiential approach to learning. She believes that deep learning occurs when there is an emotional and real-world connection to content. There is no better way to create emotional connections than through the arts and no better way to discover real-world meaning than through experience.
Chance Academy provides educational programs for academic and personal growth in which parents, staff, and children work and learn together. We provide access to educational opportunities that children would not otherwise receive. We are a refuge for individualized learning; a slice of compassion; a community that values building character as well as building intellect; an anchor for communal and individual support. We do this through embracing holistic, experiential and arts-integrated learning. We solely work with children who come from economically disadvantaged homes and would not be receiving this type of education normally.
Can I read about and see pictures from other workshops you've done?
How many participants are in the workshop?
We will have no more than 15 participants in the workshop.
What is the schedule for the workshop?
Please go here for the Agenda and Schedule.
What grade level will you be addressing?
Our workshop, topic areas and discussions will be centered on K-12. We welcome teachers, educators and those working in education at any level in K-12
Can you tell me more about the summer camps for 6-9 year olds you'll be holding at the same time and location?
Do you provide food?
We will have tea, water and coffee. There are places close-by (within walking distance) to get breakfast and lunch. That information will be emailed out in a Welcome Packet before the Workshop and handed out on the first day.
Who are your teachers?
The Workshop will be taught by Kevin Simpson, Founder and Head of KDSL Global, and Anna Bernanke, Executive Director of Chance Academy. We will have guest speakers and presenters who are working in Social Emotional Learning.
What is the cancellation/refund policy?
Registration payment must be received two weeks the event.
Payment options include:
- PayPal : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check made out to Forty Winks, LLC and mailed to: Global Sleepover, Gateway Media Arts Lab, 3311 Rhode Island Avenue, Mount Rainier, MD 20712
- Online payment here
Registration Costs includes:
- Workshop sessions July 29 – July 31, 9:00am – 3:00pm
- Professional Development Certificate for Participation
- If you cancel:
- By July 20, we will refund you 50% of total paid
- By July 22, we will refund you 25% of total paid
- No refunds will be given for any registration canceled July 23 or later.
When is the last date we can register?
We will gladly accept your registration through July 15, provided there are spots available. After this date, it will be a case-by-case basis as we need time to prepare for you and plan the workshop. Please go here to register.
Where is the workshop located?
The Workshop will be held at the Gateway Media Arts Lab, located on 3311 Rhode Island Avenue, Mount Rainier, MD 20712.
What research and pedagogy will you be basing your Workshop on?
Each participant will receive a Resource Package with materials, research, articles, and resources for Social Emotional Learning. We will be basing our Workshop on a combination of available resources and the collective 35 years of experience by the two teachers.
CLICK HERE TO LEARN ABOUT OUR STEM WORKSHOPS IN PARTNERSHIP WITH STARBUCKS
PARTNERS AND SUPPORTERS, PAST AND PRESENT
Notice of nondiscriminatory policy as to students: CHANCE Academy admits students of any race, color, gender, affectional orientation, and national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded to or made available to students at CHANCE. CHANCE does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, affectional orientation, national ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.
© 2009 – 2019 Chance Academy. All rights reserved.
Thank you to: Oksana Latysheva Certificate by leo-graph.com from the Noun Project
Footer: Gallery, Contact Us, Research and Publications